Emotional Intelligence For School Leaders
By Dr. Robin Stern & Dr. Janet Patti
"Emotional Intelligence for School Leaders" is an authoritative guide penned by Dr. Janet Patti and Dr. Robin Stern, designed to enhance the social-emotional learning (SEL) skills of K-12 educational leaders.
Patti and Stern, leveraging their collective 40 years of experience in SEL and leadership training fields, along with recent research from psychology and education, highlight the numerous benefits of SEL-focused professional development for superintendents, principals, and aspiring school leaders.
The handbook outlines key SEL skills, ranging from mindfulness and self-management to relationship building and conflict resolution, and breaks down how each can be leveraged in a leadership context. Real-life case studies of successful educational leaders, who employ positive psychology in their work, elucidate the strategies they utilized to cultivate and implement their own SEL skills.
This inspiring book emphasizes how teams that lead with self-awareness and empathy can enhance well-being, boost resilience, and ward off burnout among educators. In the long run, it can help to improve equity in the education system.
How does Emotional Intelligence for School Leaders suggest that transforming leadership practices can affect the overall education system?
- Research indicates that social and emotional learning (SEL) plays a pivotal role not just in enhancing academic performance, but also fosters overall well-being, facilitates the creation of secure learning environments, and paves the way for positive outcomes throughout life
- It underlines the importance of self-awareness, empathy, and mindfulness in boosting educator well-being, enhancing resilience, and preventing burnout
- The book argues that altering leadership practices can lead to a more equitable education system by recognizing and addressing the diverse needs of students and staff
- Practical tools are given for the growth of individual SEL skills
- The book leverages modern psychology and education research, coupled with the authors' extensive experience in SEL and leadership training.
- The book also provides strategies for system-wide enhancements in the educational environment.